Makeup Tip

 If you are like me you have containers of make up that have just a little bit left in them, like face powder and eyeshadows. It seems a waste to toss them but most of the time it’s difficult to get a make up brush or eye brush to get to the product.  I want to say this is not a tip that I invented, I’ve seen it before but I’ve never tried it. Let me say it works!


For this example I’m using a face powder. The first thing you need to do is to take a knife or some type of utensil to break up what powder is left along the edges of the container, I failed to take a picture of the beginning but the only powder left in this particular container was actually just around the corners or around the edges of the container…there was none left in the center


Keep breaking up the powder until you have smaller portions, it does not have to be like fine powder but just not large chunks left.




Once you’ve got that then it’s time to get out the rubbing alcohol.  


I really cannot give you a measurement as to how much alcohol to use, but just make sure it’s enough to turn the powder into a liquid like paste. Actually I think I used a little bit too much alcohol in this first attempt but it worked out in the end.  BUT you do need to use enough to get it mixed and to lay flat in container…not with a bunch of lumps and stuff in it…I mean we want it to be pretty…right?


There is probably a better tool out there than a butter knife but again this was my first attempt. 



Just keep mixing the alcohol in with the powder until you have a liquid like paste. I continue to mix the powder in as the alcohol began to evaporate and moved most of the product to the center of the container. 


Once you have it mixed together and most of the product back in the center of the container It is now time to just let the product sit and dry. 

You might want to sit your container on a pepper towel, mine was made with a little hole in it under the label…don’t want to mess up your counter! 

For my face powder I let it stay sitting out in the air uncovered overnight and it was perfect to use the next day.


Granted there are a couple of cracks in the center but it looks like I’m going to get several uses extra out of this particular product versus it going in the garbage.


The next morning I got up and used it and it worked perfectly.  You can definitely see by the color that the product is now dried back out due to how much lighter in color it is then with the alcohol.

Since this first attempt I have also utilize the same method for eyeshadows. If you have a couple of eyeshadows that are a similar color you can mix those as well and then add the alcohol and allow them to dry.

This method should work for powder blushes and bronzers as well.

So ladies save those mostly empty containers and save some money at the same time!




Comments