Old Fashioned Fried Pies...

One of the fondest memories of my grandmother has to be her making fried pies for us as kids...I miss her so much...

I had to make something for church today, so fried pies it was...


Gather all the ingredients.  Note I did not have buttermilk, so I used the milk and vinegar trick...WOW, I'll probably not buy buttermilk again.  If you've not done this, you MUST try it.  1 cup milk plus 1 teaspoon or so of white vinegar = buttermilk.


3 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sugar


Using a pastry cutter, or knife, cut in the shortening.


Add the wet ingredients.

Once the ingredients are together, place the dough in a ziplock and in the frig for a good hour...


While the dough is in the frig, get your fillings together.  My grandmother used to make an old fashioned chocolate fried pie as well as one that had a chocolate pudding type filling.  Today, I went with the old fashioned.  2 cups of sugar, 1 cup cocoa, 1 stick butter/margarine.  Cut in the butter making a crumbly like product.

I also used apple pie filling from the can for some.  Make sure you cut up the apple pieces in to tiny bites and I also added some cinnamon and a little extra sugar too.

Peaches from the can, cut up as well, and sugar added were used for some as well.


Sorry no pics of rolling out the dough and filling them...it was a little difficult taking a pic with dough all over my hands.  You can make these as small or as large as you like.  I used a cheap plastic cup at the cutter.  Fill the round on one side, seal with an egg wash, and crimp with a fork.  Keep some cold water next to you, dipping your fork in will help it keep from sticking to dough.

Get to frying...golden brown on one side and then turn.


There the sweet babies are...you can tap a little powered sugar on them if you like as well...why not!

Comments