Foam Snowman

I saw this idea on Home and Family this past week...the one they did was MUCH nicer and taller. 

You are supposed to use beach balls of different sizes, but unfortunately this time of year I was unable to find any plastic inflatable beach balls. Instead I used the inflatable Balloons with the strings on the end of them, our store only had  the smaller version so I had to go with what I had available. You will need three balls of graduated sizes.
I purchased 6 cans of the spray foam that you use around window seals and things to keep out the air in the winter.
I started putting the foam on the outside of the balloons starting at the top and worked my way about halfway down. Once I was halfway down the balloon I stopped and let that surface dry before starting the bottom half of the balloon.   it takes about 30 to 45 minutes for the foam to actually dry.
If the balls are not symmetrical once you've got the foam on them, you can add additional product on it and get the shape you like. Once the balls have completely dried you will need to level out the bottom surfaces so when you set them on each other it's easier to attach.
I used an old piece of scrap wood as the base for my snowman. I simply put a blob of foam on the bottom of it and attached the largest ball, letting it dry for about 45 minutes.
I continued that same process until all three balls were attached. Don't forget the foam expands so when you're attaching the three balls together don't put too much foam as it will make your snowman's neck look too big.   Once  I had the balls connected I used white spray paint to coat the entire surface. The foam is a bit yellow when it is finished drying so you will want to coat the it with some type of paint. Once the paint dried, since my snowman was going to be under the porch covering, I used the spray snow like you use to flock your Christmas tree which gave it a little extra. On TV they actually used spray paint and glitter on their Snowman.
Some Coal for the eyes and some foam painted red for the mouth  I also used some sticks for his arms and made him a scarf out of burlap. You can decorate your snowman however you like.   You can bet next year I'm going to have 3 gigantic beach balls ready for this project, and my snowman will look awesome at the end of my driveway, see you next year Frosty!

Comments