Valentine Gift/Faux Mercury Glass

I wanted to do something nice for my two brothers and sister and their families for Valentines day.  I baked a box of carmel cupcakes with cream cheese icing and decided to do a Hershey's candy bar bouquet.  I had saw a similar one at Krogers a couple of weeks ago and they were $26 each!

I decided to do two projects in one.  I've been wanting to try the faux mercury glass technique....
Instead of buying the $12 small can of Looking Glass spray paint, I went for the cheaper alternative incase this didn't turn out...


You will need:  white vinegar, spray bottle, Metallic spray paint (or go for the Looking Glass paint), and a container.  I picked up these at the Dollar Tree for $1 each.  I quickly discovered the mouths of the vases were too small for me to do the faux on the inside, so I did it on the outside...probably not the best idea.

Put vinegar in spray bottle.  Spritz your vase, but not so much that the vinegar runs, you want it to bead up.  Then spray with the paint.  Immediately take a paper towel and pat dry.


You can repeat this process as many times as you wish, until you get the desired look.  I used about 3 coats.  Don't be afraid of the patting process, this and the vinegar are what give it the mercury look.


I did all six in about 15 minutes...


Mercury glass is beautiful with a candle, but since a candle wouldn't fit, maybe this will give you an idea of what it would look like with one.  AGAIN, a larger mouthed container would be so much better.  Look around your house and see what you already have that you might could use.  The Metallic  paint worked well, but I will spring for the Looking Glass paint next time around now that I know how easy this is to do!

Now to Valentines Day...

Bought three packs of Hershey's...used a hot glue gun to attach bamboo skewers to them.



Stuffed some of the red stringy stuff in the vases, then cinched up three sheets of tissue paper and tucked in the top of the vases.


Then I tucked in 6 Hershey's to each vase.  The tissue paper worked perfectly to hold them in place.  If you are traveling far, you might want to use a piece of foam or floral foam covered by the tissue paper to hold them in there.

A red ribbon later, and this is what we came up with....


I'm guessing I spent about $6 each on them, saving $20!  I felt like a florist delivering them to the family, but they seemed to enjoy them!!

Comments