The Story Of Our Home...

Sorry it's taken so long, but I've finally taken some pictures of our new home...

We started the journey of building in August, and moved in December 18th.   I had thought about what a new home would look like if we ever built, but never thought we would.   It's funny how God turns our lives upside down sometimes...and a year ago, that's what happened to ours.

Several years ago I read an article about a beach house a designer had built using several great ideas.  I always kept it in the back of my mind, and we were able to use several of those ideas in our home.




Ignore the mudpit we call our front yard...we had a little bit of grass started, but the dozer took care of that when we put in our septic tank...  We decided on a metal house, yes metal.  Metal roof and metal siding.  No maintenance...YES!  Our last home was 109 years old, she was a beauty, but it was constant maintenance to maintain her beautiful white exterior....   We have several plans for the outside to dress it up a bit, but we'll have to wait until better weather.


This is the view from the front of our house to the road.  The deer regularly visit our front yard.




I'm so glad my hubby convinced me to cover our back porch...it's going to be nice this summer.


Master bath, using an old buffet as my bathroom vanity.  You can read about it on previous post.  $$Money Saver$$




View from our kitchen island to the living room.   The kitchen, living room and dining room are all one big open space.  Still not sure what, if anything else I'm adding to the wall... Floating shelf under TV, hubby made out of scraps from kitchen cabinets...$$Money Saver$$


Here's the view coming in from the garage door.  I LOVVVVVE my kitchen island.  


Here's the dining area, hubby working hard on a report, so I didn't even ask him to move.  

Ok, people thought I was crazy when I told them I was buying two stoves, but I have already used them so much, I don't know why everyone doesn't do this.  I would have loved a nice Viking but $6,000 was not in the budget.  Double ovens in the wall were close to $2,000.  I got these babies for less than $500 each.  I think they look great!  $$Money Saver$$


This is our safe room.  This thing about killed me and my hubby before we got it built, but it saved us $7,000 on our bottom line.  $$Money Saver$$
It is concrete blocks on the wall, filled with enforced concrete and a solid slab poured on the ceiling...I don't think she's going anywhere. 

OK, now get ready for it!!!!


Craft room bliss!  Yes that's hot pink on the walls, I went a little wild.  Hubby built me a 12 ft long desktop out of two doors.  I've got room for both sewing machines.  I've even got my grandmother's peddle sewing machine under the table (toward the back wall).  Cabinets on the wall are Martha Stewart I found for $29 each on Black Friday...they had been $80 each....$$Money Saver$$


I was even able to fit in my antique cabinet.  It took four men to move her in, but she is at home....



Master bedroom.  I love my black wall...the color is "Knight's Tale".  It's just on one wall, so don't panic.

Ok, so there's the pictures...except for my son's bathroom, it wasn't clean and I wasn't in the mood.  I'll post other pics later for some other tricks I used around the house.

Our house is certainly not a McMansion, but she's paid for and I love it!  God has truly blessed us!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love your new home!! Its beautiful and your so smart!! My favorite room by far is your craft room.... my heart's desire!!

Sherrie