Fabric Headboard

I had been wanting to get rid of my old iron bed and do just a simple fabric headboard.  A couple weeks ago I went to a local fabric store to pick up a piece of foam and was SHOCKED that they were going to charge me $24.99 per yard and I needed 3 yards.  I thought my dream of a fabric headboard was over....

but then I had an idea!  How about using a twin size foam mattress topper?? SCORE....$7.98 at
Wal-Mart...the dream was back on...

My husband had a piece of leftover OSB board from our garage.  He used leftover trim from out kitchen to make a frame on the back...


Once the frame was ready, we placed the mattress topper on the OSB board, smooth side facing out.


Then we took a painters drop cloth ($9) and wrapped over the foam and OSB.  Start at the corners and work your way around, using staples to secure.  Trim any extra fabric so it won't get in the way.
(I'm hoping to make a couple of pillows out of my scraps later on.)


You will need to wash and iron your drop cloth before wrapping the headboard.


My husband secured a board on the wall above our bed, cut on a 45 degree...he also attached the opposite 45 degree on the back of the headboard, then simply hung it on the wall.  Attaching it this way will make it easy to get it off the wall in the future, if I decide I want to change the fabric.


And here's the results.  You could use nailhead trim or tuft the fabric, but I just went plain on this one....I love the results and I'm out less than $20 for then entire thing.  I've recently priced fabric headboards ranging from $299 and up!

Comments