London 30th Wedding Anniversary Trip…That Didn't Happen!

Well we were supposed to go to London for our upcoming anniversary...to soak up some European Christmas love...but thanks to Covid/Omicron and new international travel restrictions, it was not meant to be.


The closest I got to the UK was watching a Christmas movie based in London on our flight…LOL.

Last minute we decided to fly to Miami, rent a car, and drive the FL Keys.  It was hard not being disappointed…we had planned on London for months… but it was a fun trip down south!


Russ = Official Driver



Nice joint we ate lunch at in Marathon…as seen on Food Network.


We stayed in Marathon…midway between Key Largo and Key West.

7 mile bridge…just one of many that connect all the keys.

Part of the original railway connecting the islands in the early 1900’s.
Key West









Tons of shops along Duval Street.


Chickens run free everywhere…including our restaurant’s outdoor dining area.



Live music during lunch.

Despite temps in the upper 80’s, folks still in the Christmas spirit!🎄



I mean I think we were obligated to eat Key Lime Pie…weren’t we?

                             It was yummy!


Loved looking at the grand old homes.





Being silly…

Hard Rock Cafe

You could rent bikes, scooters, golf carts...we walked until the heat got too much and then just drove around the area in the air conditioner...LOL

Mile marker zero!  Does this qualify as "the end of the road"?

The Butterfly Experience was fun.









Loved their names...Rhett and Scarlett!

Sunset dinner cruise

Well the lady taking our picture missed the sunset, but it happened…😜


Coming back to the marina.
                              I think I could live on some of the boats...or are they yachts?

The marina area all decked out for the holidays.



Loved the decorated palm trees!


In Marathon we stayed at Faro Blanco…great place and staff.

At night it was really pretty.








Lots of the “BIG” boats decorated for the upcoming Christmas parade on water.
Coffee on the beach as the sun came up...our last day in Marathon.


Islamorada on our way back to the upper Keys.


Lots of uninhabited islands and even some “For Sale”!


We took a glass bottom boat tour in Key Largo.  I lasted about half way but then it was back outside for me! 😂

Russ survived just fine...as I'm up top focused on the horizon.


The ocean was so clear…so beautiful.

The reef 6 miles off shore!  Guess I should have read the details before booking...ha, ha.

Mangroves on the way back to the dock.  Interesting how they grow and the benefits they provide.


Russ getting some seafood before heading back to Miami.


He said it was good…I had a cheeseburger!
Last day we took in Miami Beach!
Way to busy for me.

Cruise ships lined up getting ready to head out.  I think there were 7 docked on the day we drove by.

Lots of Art Deco on Ocean Drive.


Lots of money in this area or debt🤪…I’ve never seen so many exotic cars in one place


The beaches were busy...I still say the FL panhandle has the best sand/beaches anywhere!




The sand here was not very soft like in FL panhandle and not very clean.  Honestly, I’m not sure what the attraction is.

Got to around 88 degrees on our last full day.




Lunch and people watching.  Oh boy was there some people watching being done!

This was a $35 drink on display at our table…NO it was not ours!

These sunglasses were a little outside my price range, like many things in Miami!  Some of the ones here started at $2,000…CRAZY!

Miami is like San Francisco and Seattle as far as I’m concerned…been there, done that…don’t care if I go back!

The Keys were nice but I had my heart set on London!  Oh well, there's always next year!




















Comments

Carla Bartlett said…
Loved the pictures and scenery. Wish I could have been there in the 80 degree weather and not here in the storms and 50 degree weather...lol. So glad you guys got to enjoy!
LJ Swan said…
Yeah the temps were nice but it didn’t feel like Christmas!